Wednesday, October 1, 2003

Forgetfulness

Do you ever have just one of those days where you'd probably forget your head if it wasn't screwed on right?? Well guess who had one of those days.....

Yep! You guessed it. ME!!!

For starters, I had taken some forms with me to fill out while I was out earlier today cashing my check. But, as luck would have it, I forgot to BRING A PEN with me so I could fill them them out (I had planned to fill them out while at the local Subway sandwich joint after I ate).

CORRECTIVE ACTION TAKEN - Scrap the idea.

Next, I got to the local Albertsons grocery store where I would borrow one of their two electric buggies and go up to the Customer Service counter where I would cash my check. Every thing went normal there except for one tiny little detail.

I LEFT MY KEYS IN THE ELECTRIC BUGGY WHEN I LEFT THE STORE TO GO TO SUBWAY.

What's worse, I didn't even realize this until I checked my pockets while at Subway. Luckily I had planned to return there to do some grocery shopping anyway. So I thought it wasn't a really big deal.

Ahh.....But this was on a day in which Lady Fortune WAS NOT smiling at me.

Anyhow, I return to the store, only to find the buggy is in use. So I walk up to the same customer service desk I had been at not even an hour earlier and ask the clerk there if someone turned in any set of keys matching the description I gave. He told me no.

Now I'm REALLY freaked because NOW I don't even know WHERE the keys are.

Bur then I figured what goes up must come down(OR IN THIS CASE, what goes to the back of the store must eventually make it's way back to the front of the store where the buggies are kept). So I decided to wait a few minutes for the buggy with my keys (which I STUPIDLY left in the buggy's ignition) to return. But then I decided that this was like wsiting for a watched pot to boil. So I got another key from customer service and used the other cart.

Just as I was checking out, I spotted the woman in the other cart. I tried to get her attention, but could do little more than to verify that the keys were still left in the ignition as she passed by in front of me. Fortunately they were. I knew I could then breathe a huge sigh of relief knowing that all I had to do was wait for her to check out and bring the cart up to the front.

10 minutes later, she did just that. I kept the other key in case she needed it as then this way, we could just simply swap keys (some of the store clerks let people have a key of their own, but it's not neccessarily something they "boast" about). Luckily, after some explaining, she was very understanding and we swapped keys and waited for our taxi cabs to arrive. She was about my age and could understand what it's like being in my position. :-) We enjoyed a nice conversation while we waited.

I suppose the day wasn't a complete disaster. I've had worse days than this. But after nearly leaving my Subway Twister cup behind after taking my groceries over to the bench at the front of the store where I would wait for the woman to appear, I said to myself that I'd forget MY HEAD if it wasn't screwed on right as I walked back to retrieve my cup.

Just thought I'd share this with you. :-}

Cheers for now :-)

Pat

No comments: